Part 20: Jesus is alive! WOW!
Jesus is sealed within an unused and guarded tomb. Or is he? The historical records say differently…All four Gospels, part of the historical record, Matthew, Mark Luke and John, tell us that Jesus was crucified, died and was buried in a tomb. What do these four historical Gospels say about the Jesus’ resurrection or rising from the dead?
Let us first look at the sequence of events over the period of time after Jesus death till He ascended. Now remember, the Gospels are documents which have recorded historical events.
Sequence of events
- The tomb is empty
- Two Marys watch the burial: (Matthew27:61, Mark 15:47, Luke23:54-55)
- Roman soldiers guard the tomb and place an official Roman seal upon it: (Matthew 27:62-66)
- Women prepare burial spices then rest: (Luke 23:56)
- An angel rolls the stone away: (Matthew 28:2-4)
- Women arrive at dawn with spices: (Matthew 28:1, Mark 16:1-4, Luke 24:1-3, John 20:1)
- Angels appear to women: (Matthew 28:5-7, Mark 16:5-7, Luke 24:4-8)
- The women dart back to tell disciples: (Matthew 28:8, Mark 16:8, Luke 24:9-11, John 20:2)
- Peter and John investigate the empty tomb: (Luke 24:12, John 20:3-9)
- Peter and John go home: (Luke 24:12, John 20:10)
- Mary Magdalene weeps by the tomb: (John 20:11)
- Mary sees two angels: (John 20:12-13)
- Jesus appears to Mary Magdalene: (Mark 16:9, John 20:14-17)
- Jesus appears to the other women: (Matthew 28:9-10)
- Women report to the disciples: (Mark 16:10-11, John 20:18)
- Guards testify to the priests: (Matthew 28:11-15)
- Jesus meets two people on the Emmaus Road: (Mark 16:12-13, Luke 24:13-32)
- Jesus appears to Simon Peter: (1 Corinthians 15:5, Luke 24:34)
- Two men on the Emmaus Road report to disciples in Jerusalem: (Luke 24:33-35)
- Jesus appears to the Disciples less Thomas: (Luke 24:36-43, John 20:19-24)
- Disciples report to Thomas: (John 20:25)
- Jesus appears to the Disciples and Thomas: (Mark 16:14, John 20:26-29)
- Jesus appears to seven people: (John 21:1-14)
- Jesus questions Peter 3 times: (John 21:15-23)
- Jesus appears to 500 people: (1 Corinthians 15:6)
- Jesus appears to James: (1 Corinthians 15:7)
In our Podcast tomorrow, we go to look at further evidence for Jesus’ resurrection from the dead.
Play or download the audio mp3 to find out more about this Jesus, his final prayer what that means for you today!!