All Souls 02/29/2004 – Luke 10:1-9 – David Harley
Christian life is doing not just learning.
1. Vision Jesus gives
The harvest is plentiful
It is a message of life & hope
The vision is ‘go into ALL the world’
2. What kind of people does God use?
Ordinary people, sent in pairs, probably reluctantly (v2)
Most of us are called to work in our local church.
3. What is the task?
Care & declare
Heal the sick (show compassion)
Tell that the kingdom of God is near.
4. Demands Christ makes
you will be vulnerable
you will suffer
be single minded
CCWC 02/22/2004 1 Cor.7:25-40
“The Single Life”
*Paul’s Opinion or Biblical mandate*
Does Paul devalue marriage & exalt singleness? How do we evaluate the viewpoint of other christians?
The preacher says –
* Dogmatism & arrogance – no place for it.
* Constant re-evaluation of opinion as theology needs graciousness.
* Better to be single – greater freedom to serve God, without distraction or added burden.
* modify our behaviour according to circumstances
* not much time left (v.26, 29, 31)
* threat of persecution (Mk.13)
* Fall of Jerusalem 70AD – Josephus
Application for today
* Don’t rush into change
* Don’t forget its all temporal & make the most of it!